Namibia Sand Dune Desert Safari 2017
(subject to change)
5pm: Depart from Cape Town International Airport for arrival in Windhoek Namibia at 6pm local time.
Evening : Free time to explore the town of Windhoek
7am: Depart via scenic shuttle to the Sossusvlei Desert which takes about 5 hours by road, through the shifting colours of the Kalahari, into desert landscape of the Sesriem. Arrival at 1pm for lunch at our luxury desert lodge.
3pm: Enjoy an afternoon nature drive with our ranger. The 37 000-hectare private Nature Reserve offers our guests exclusive wildlife-viewing opportunities which include the likes of gemsbok (oryx), bat-eared fox, brown hyaena and birdlife. Enjoy a coffee or sundowner stop in scenic parts of the reserve as a highlight.
**If you wish you can sleep out under the starry starry skies of the Namib Desert and be lulled to sleep by the sounds of Africa on the roof or in your unit ( limited availability of these units).
6am: Sossusvlei Excursion - This incredible half-day adventure will take us to the awe-inspiring sand dunes of Sossusvlei, one of the Namib Desert’s most scenic attractions. The dunes form part of the Namib Sand Sea, an endlessly undulating mass of orange, amber and ochre that makes up the biggest dune field south of the Sahara. The tour includes a stop at Sesriem to watch the morning sunrise dance across the sand fields and a journey through an imposing funnel shaped gap created by the rare phenomenon of the flooding of the Tsauchab River. The experience culminates at Sossusvlei, stopping in the midst of an untouched desert playground, where you can lose yourself amongst waves and waves of silky smooth sand. A breathless climb to the top of the massive ‘Big Daddy’ rewards with a spectacular view over the peaks and troughs of the sand sea. Next is a walk to Deadvlei or visit the Sesriem Canyon. This adventure is a must for nature and photographic enthusiasts.
2pm: Optional Quad Bike Safari ( additional cost) or relax at the lodge.
4pm: Nature Drive - Set off on a scenic drive through the Sesriem Canyon and stop to admire the thousand hues of a desert sunset over a sundowner in a remote and dramatic area of the Namib Desert. After our sundowner we will return for dinner which will be served to us outside under the stars.
**If you wish you can sleep out under the starry starry skies of the Namib Desert and be lulled to sleep by the sounds of Africa on the roof or in your unit (limited availability of these units).
6am: Optional Sunrise Quad Bike Safari or take a Hot Air Balloon Ride over Sossossvlei ( Extra fees apply for this). As the sun’s first rays peek over scarlet sand dunes, the hot air balloon drifts slowly upward revealing the undulating landscapes of Sossusvlei. This soul-satisfying journey offers excellent photographic opportunities and lifelong memories!
10am: Depart for Windhoek stopping in at Solitaire for their famous Namibian apple pie.
5pm: Arrival back in Windhoek where we bid each other farewell. If you need accommodations in Windhoek let us know as we have a hotel booked for some of us in the group already.
**Photo's of what you can expect in terms of scenery and accommodations are linked here: https://1drv.ms/f/s!ApVvjjHeET_agZApXO-1WCv-VdQ-gg
- Luxury Desert Accommodations
- Three meals daily, soft drinks, house wines, local brand spirits and beers, teas and coffees, refreshments on game drives.
- 1 excursion to Sossusvlei Desert.
- 1 excursion to the petrified dunes.
- Safari activities/Nature drives
- Guided nature walks
- Guided quad bike excursions in the Namib Desert (additional cost & subject to availability)
- Hot Air Balloon Safari (additional cost & subject to availability)
- Emergency medical evacuation insurance, and VAT.
EMAIL HELLO@MANEXPEDITIONS.COM FOR EXTENDED PACKAGE OPTIONS WHICH INCLUDE BOTSWANA & KRUGER NATIONAL PARK TO CATCH THE TAIL-END OF THE ZEBRA & WILDEBEEST MIGRATION
What to expect
• Exceptional star gazing, with star-viewing skylights and fully equipped observatory
• Mysterious fairy circles
• Beautiful views over the desert plains
• Sense of timelessness and tranquillity
• Africa’s first International Dark Sky Reserve
• Africa’s biggest private nature reserve
• Situated on the edge of the Namib Sand Sea, the biggest dune field south of the Sahara
• Variety of dune types
• Magnificent open spaces
• The tranquillity of the desert
• Specially adapted desert wildlife
– Oryx, Springbok, Burchell’s and Hartmann’s Zebra, Bat-Eared Foxes, as well as a variety of insects and lizards